A Threefold Cord
A Threefold Cord
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NKJ
Two are better than one,
Because they have a good
reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up
But woe to him who is alone
when he falls,
For he has no one to help
Again, if two lie down together,
they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm
Though one may be
overpowered by another, two
can withstand him,
And a threefold cord is not
Do you think Solomon was writing about a rope when he wrote a threefold cord?
There are a number of Hebrew words used for cord. Strong’s definitions say the word chuwt, is used for the word cord here and gives this definition as: “from an unused root and a probably meaning to sew.” That does not make sense to me how about you? The Hebrew word abot; has a meaning of something intertwined for a purpose.
I have found three Spiritual Cords which are threefold in themselves. These threefold cords are intertwined so that they bind my walk with Jesus together into One Accord.
Webster’s New World Dictionary defines accord:
1. To make agree
2. To grant, to agree, harmonize, mutual agreement, harmony, of one’s owe accord, willing, with one accord, all agreeing
The first, the main threefold cord, the strength and the center cord in which the other two would have no existence and are twisted around: is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. One God in three distinct persons always one, always agreeing, always in harmony, and always One Accord. He is the Great I AM. Jesus made many I AM statements In the book of John.
\ NKJ John 10: 29-30; “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are ONE.”
NASU John 3:34; “For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.”
Jesus was totally empowered by the Holy Spirit, when he became man yet He never stopped being God. The God Head the Great Three in One became man! Impossible to explain and even more impossible to understand, that is why He is God and I am not.
NIV Isaiah 40: 13: “Who has understood the mind of the LORD,
Or instructed Him as His counselor?”
The second threefold cord is much easier to understand, each cord is very much needed, each cord I use to walk with Jesus. The cords are: 1. a good personal bible study, 2. good sound Bible teaching, 3. Fellowship I need to spend time talking to other men of God about a Godly life.
The Complete Christian Dictionary copyright; All Nations defines devotion as:
1. The act of committing oneself for some purpose or to some person
2. The condition of being devoted to someone or something
If I have devoted my life to Jesus,
1. I must study to overcome my fleshly desire to become complacent. When I discipline myself to studying I avoid this tendency and the word of God shapes my thinking. I am compelled to devote time to prayer, and prayer helps me to bind with the Lord. When I bind with the Lord then, then it turns into Praise and Thanksgiving.
Psalm 27:14 NKJ
Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart:
Wait, I say, on the LORD!
The word wait in Hebrew text is qavah, (kaw-vav) with a primitive root meaning: to bind together, and a figuratively meaning of to expect so if you are to expect you are to wait. But I am going to be who I am and just for fun do that thing I do:
Bind together with the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart:
Bind together, I say, with the LORD!
Old King James II Timothy: 2:15;
“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
2. A good Bible teacher is one who: NKJ I Timothy 4: 6-11; “If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourishing in words of faith and of good doctrine which you have carefully followed. But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profit’s a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance. For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe. These things command and teach.”
A good Bible teacher is one who teaches the Bible from Genesis to Revelation chapter by chapter, verse by verse and sometimes word by word. A good Bible teacher wants you to study ahead and along with his teaching. A good Bible teacher wants you search the Bible for yourself and see if he has made a mistake or not. A good Bible teacher will admit his mistake and correct himself. A good Bible teacher will reason with his students and help them understand for he does not wish for them to be incomplete. A good Bible teacher is aware of the wolves that sneak in among the sheep; NKJ Matthew 7:15; “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.”
So in my abridged form as Jesus spoke to Peter to restore him; Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” and them, “Tend my sheep.” again Jesus said, “Feed my Sheep.” So when a teacher feeds and tends the sheep, they grow strong and the sheep produce not the shepherd. A good Bible teacher is one I call Pastor; I thank God for I have some very good Pastors.
The third and final cord of this threefold cord is good Godly fellowship: Hebrews 10:24-25; “And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as in the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much more as you see the Day approaching.”
That is what we are doing here on Saturday morning before and after we pray, the topics we talk about help us to be better Christ Followers. We talk about our weaknesses, our strugglers, our sicknesses and our sins. I want all to know, there is no sin so great that my Jesus will not forgive, no weakness you have he is not greater than, no illness He can not heal, no struggle He will not carry you through, and no prayer He will not answer.
We men are here because we are weak but He is strong. Yes Jesus Loves me!
One thing that we do not have is a bean spitting contest. No BS! We don’t talk about baseball, football, hunting, fishing, golf, or any of that stuff it is not because we do not like these things because we do. We assemble together for the day is fast approaching and we do not wish to be caught sleeping. Most of the guys here are blue collar workers and know how to sweat to make a living. We are just real men seeking Jesus, you do not have to believe me come and see for yourself.
The third and final threefold cord is prayer. Its cords are: 1. an individual prayer life, 2. the prayer life of men praying with men and women praying with women, in One Accord 3. and congregational prayer in One Accord.
1. An individual prayer life is a much needed and a necessary part of any believers walk with Christ. If that is all you have you are not complete. I have noticed that if an individual prayer life is all I have my prayers become self centered and I give up too soon before an answer comes. I have also learned I rob myself and my brothers of the blessings of them praying for me and myself of praying for them. Do not get me wrong I spend a lot of time in prayer by myself for I love to spend time alone with my Father. Prayer time alone with Jesus is my favorite prayer time and the one I love the most.
2.The importance of Praying in One Accord, (unity) cannot be overstated as a big contributing factor in seeing answers to our prayers. There is power in unity because God strengthens our faith as He joins our hearts in One Accord; this strengthens the individual’s personal walk with Christ. Men praying together enrich their lives by connecting you to them in a deep and meaning-full way. Men help men grow and move into the plans and purposes God has for them and the Church. A man gains strength, encouragement, and faith each time he hears other men pray for him. Prayer in agreement opens up a wonderful flow of God’s blessings into our lives as we share our souls. In God’s Kingdom of the last will be first and first last, the man praying for the other is often blessed more than the one being prayed for. Matthew 5:7;
“Blessed are the merciful,’
“For they shall obtain mercy”
The time I spend Praying in One Accord with other men is my favorite time in prayer. I love to spend time praying with my brothers in Christ Jesus most of all.
3. Congregational Prayer is a lot like men praying in One Accord only this time the women have entered the room. In this prayer we are not and should not be as intimate as we are in men’s prayer. There are many ways and styles that a congregation can use to pray in harmony. The Pastor knows the needs of his flock and can lead them best in this prayer.
New believers learn to pray by listening to and praying with the old saints. Old saints need to pray often with the new babies, to help them learn how to walk, and this helps the old saints remember he is just a sinner. Old saints drop the colorful stylistically expressions of words, do not recite churchie phrases we use to impress one another, and forget that finely tuned delicately molded moldy prayer. It does not impress God and I am to A.D.D. to be impressed. Ask the Holy Spirit for words to speak. Let your heart be broken and eyes fill with tears is always a good way to start prayer. When the whole Church is praying as one all agreeing this is my favorite way to pray, it is also the one I love the most.
Warning: Prayer is much to intimate for men and women to share their hearts at a gut wrenching nakedness except in marriage.
Warning: I have learned this one thing; I cannot have an intimate walk with Jesus without all the cords and all the Threefold cords also being inter-twined in One Accord. An intimate walk with Jesus is a very needed and wonderful part of life, if that is all you have and it is not dependent on other believers, you cannot and will not have a growing Christian Life. I have tried and failed. Too easily the fire goes out and you die.
Think about it!
“ Again, if two lie down together,
They will keep warm;
But how can one be warm